CoCalc Public Filesstatus / index.htmlOpen with one click!
Author: William A. Stein
Compute Environment: Ubuntu 18.04 (Deprecated)

August 15, 2016, 9am

  • overview of projects by everybody
  • overview of everybody by project

Aug 15, 2016, 5pm

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan:
  • Piper and I worked on some of her code https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/bd2ee9ae-5747-48e0-ba1e-61226b2bac71/files/start.sagews

  • Gregory Bard
  • working on 3d color plotting
  • Talked about how to teach programming with Tim Clemens
  • https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/c096352d-b392-499a-8899-6bfa794d7504/files/Graphical%20Appendix/2016-08-15-110302.pdf
  • suffered due to overheating

  • Alina Bucur (not here yet)

  • Tim Clemans

  • Learned from Vivek's experience with School yourself to improve Learn Python the hard way https://cloud.sagemath.com/111f81b5-d9cb-4c4c-a00e-7c6526e946d0/raw/tutorial_prototype.html
  • Christine syntax discussions.

  • Aly Deines (not here yet)

  • Piper Harron (worked with Jen)

  • Rob Harron
  • Moved ray class group and Hecke character scripts into Sage source: can currently compute ray class groups and Hecke character groups, as well as L-functions of Hecke characters.
  • Talked with William about internal PARI C library functions that are not public.

  • Jamal Hassan
  • working with Rob (just left)

  • Erik Holmes (in bathroom)

  • John Jeng
  • react rewrite: stores and actions are now initialized before rendering, but not done.; very natural.
  • working in https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/92234d52-8a1c-4e63-bde3-f2727f5ab8b1/

  • Kiran Kedlaya (not here yet)

  • Jack Kennedy
  • Learned about Sage development and SageMathCloud from Harald Schilly; sage dev onboarding.
  • Plan to give us feedback and thoughts later.

  • Jonathan Lee
  • Fixed bugs and warnings upgrading SMC to React 0.15 and React Bootstrap 0.30 (branch webapp-lib-updates)
  • Tried in vain to get jQuery UI working again...
  • First steps on top navbar for top-down React rewrite
  • Discussed in-place chat with Vivek (i.e., chat for files).
  • Talked about merge strategy for webapp-lib-updates and top-down-react with jjeng

  • David Lukas
  • Built development version of Sage on my laptop.
  • Attended Harald's presentation.; it was comprehensive. Missing pedogagy of teaching.

  • Simon Luu
  • Attempted to make URLs change in react (history api)
  • Switched to helping Vivek with replacing the side chats with the chatroom react component
  • Attempted to replace the side chat but ran into some issues. WHERE? - (https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/242b5a42-527f-40a7-ab23-7f6c62cfd744/files/smc/src/smc-webapp/, in editor.coffee, editor.html, syncdoc.coffee)

  • Michelle Manes
  • Tried to review a ticket specialzation for polynomials, schemes, and morphisms,;had some difficulty getting the build to work on laptop.
  • Jen built it on SMC, so worked on the review there. (https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/d87ce228-3433-4d2c-b150-f16518d5e59a/files/2016-08-15-145828.term)
  • (With Erik Holmes) submitted review of ticket.

  • Christine Miles
  • got better
  • working with tim -- writing stuff related to learning code

  • Nicholas Ruhland (not here yet)

  • Harald Schilly
  • talk about smc (comprehensive demo)
  • getting jack on speed with sage dev and answer questions from many people
  • compute image container (broke it): issue with giac (not ginac!)
  • tried webpack dashboard (useless for us) -- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12291085

  • William Stein
  • implement most of uploading projects to GCS -- https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/blob/c10471d4f24feea1ddc935bb4a867f8811a5c74c/src/scripts/migrate-to-k8s/upload_project.py; found some subtle issues along the way and fixed them.

  • Patrick Studdard (In room having trouble with wifi using his cell phone. Miserable. Suffering.)

  • Bella Tobin
  • working on refereeing that ticket mentioned above; had issues building sage...
  • got in touch with other grad students who will come tomorrow.

  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • forked smc to work on side-chat
  • re-familiarized myself with the "crappy side-chat" code I wrote two years ago.
  • With Simon, attempted to replace the current side-chat with the fancier chatroom React component, but ran into some issues with document rendering.
  • Talked to Simon and Jonathan to chart out a good plan to get some work on side-chat done while not writing too much temporary code to handle rendering events in the old framework.

  • Kartik Venkatram (not here yet)

2016-08-16

What do you plan to do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • bunch of grad students coming around 4:30: will do informal thing on using/developing Sage here.
  • costco run? Put Requests here!
    • half & half
  • number theory tickets

  • Gregory Bard
  • primary objective: finish complex plots section
  • setup Jack to proofread -- project here: xxx

  • Alina Bucur (not here yet)

  • Tim Clemans

  • Hovering over avatar would tell you cursor lines; click to go to. (vivek wrote the faces)
  • Realtime project status: who's editing what right now, the line numbers, etc.

  • Aly Deines (not here yet)

  • Piper Harron (not here)

  • Rob Harron (not here)

  • Push what I have of the ray class group/hecke character code to trac (Cremona contacted me, interested about the code).
  • Follow up on discussion I started on the pari dev mailing list, reworking how the ray classes are represented for better efficiency based on Belabas' comments.
  • Perucca's talk at 3:00pm at UH Manoa.

  • Jamal Hassan (not here)

  • Erik Holmes (not here)

  • John Jeng (was running; now here)
    • React top down rewrite more...
    • non-react editors: open without warnings, non-react pieces
  • Kiran Kedlaya (not here yet)
    • meeting with my students and postdocs at UCSD: 10am-1pm Hawaii time
    • possibly a conference call 1-2pm Hawaii time
    • after that, will be available via chat
  • Jack Kennedy
    • first check in! (bug #5415 -- https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/5415)
    • proofread and comment on Greg's complex plot doc
    • look at more tickets
    • ask people some technical things
  • Jonathan Lee
    • last night finished merging Harald's code with J3's code.
    • will fix bugs in merge
  • David Lukas (not here)

  • Simon Luu
  • working with Vivek on "the soon-to-be awesome side chat": redo rendering, refactor code.

  • Michelle Manes
    • figured out problem with pulling ticket, fixed it, will continue ticket review later
    • explained code for new algorithm for potential good reduction to Erik Holmes, and he will work with others on a ticket today
    • arranged UH classroom for our use through Sunday
    • out today for meetings and visitor at UH
    • number theory talk at math dept today at 3pm for anyone interested: Antonella Perucca. Room is Keller 401
    • will try to check in on email throughout the day
  • Christine Miles
  • learning syntax of nested dictionary, etc.

  • Nicholas Ruhland (not here yet... but will arrive)

  • Harald Schilly
    • fixing a strange bug in sagemath documentation (or, figuring out what's going on at all there), adding analytics → yes, it's fixed now
    • bug triaging for smc, and a bit of support (e.g. looked into shibboleth again, to remind myself what it does and requires)
    • maybe architecture diagram with william
    • looking into william's k8s code
    • working on the compute image, integration into control scripts
  • William Stein
  • finishing migration of projects to GCS (20% now done)
  • implement kubernetes things: not sure which -- will triage

  • Patrick Studdard (continue to work at his job)

  • Bella Tobin (not here, but leading a group over here later)

  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • bought an Air Conditioner, which is upstairs. So if you sit by it upstairs it is dry and cool(-er).
  • working on side chat with simon and jonathan
  • information about user presence

  • Kartik Venkatram (not here yet)

What did you do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • great tutorial on sage (7 students!)
  • talked to Antonella about Sage (she had number field/elliptic curve questions)
  • dev'ing sage on SMC
  • no need for costco today (maybe tomorrow)

  • Gregory Bard
  • setup jack to proofread, and he did a lot
  • 66% through complex plots; less mainstream -- inspire interest in CC analysis.; we are missing some natural functionality, e.g., complex plots in 3d.
  • number theory seminar: plugged sage

  • Alina Bucur (not here yet)
  • expressed interest in working with Greg on interactive crypto webpages

  • Tim Clemans
  • show line number
  • frustration: need a go-to-line function

  • Aly Deines (not here yet)

  • Piper Harron (not here)

  • Rob Harron
  • Fought with git with Harald as my champion
  • Pushed ray class group/Hecke character code to a prexisting trac ticket: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15829
  • Went to number theory talk
  • Rewrote ray/Hecke code to use pari extended ideals as per Belabas' suggestion. Pushed to trac #15829

  • Jamal Hassan (not here)

  • Erik Holmes (not here)

  • John Jeng
  • spent most time learning React/REDUX design patterns -- pros/cons
  • request: write something down, e.g., "suggested uses"
  • william and I added a lot to this todo list: https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/bd2ee9ae-5747-48e0-ba1e-61226b2bac71/files/projects/react-rewrite.tasks

  • Kiran Kedlaya (not here yet)
    • identified some moribund tickets that might deserve new attention
  • Jack Kennedy

    • fixed bugs (+1) in ticket 5415 and tested (and added test case)
    • updated ticket with explanation
    • tried and failed to push a branch to git.sagemath.org (permissions)
    • commented brilliantly on Greg's plot doc
    • found tennis buddies
  • Jonathan Lee
    • last night finished merging Harald's code with J3's code.
    • will fix fixed bugs in merge
    • lots of work on top navbar, particularly connection panel
    • worked with Tim on cursors
    • worked with Nicholas on #818 (https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues/818) and other project files fixes
  • David Lukas (not here)

  • Simon Luu (with Vivek)
    • Worked on the styling of the side chat (looks good right now)
    • Have to add side_chat changes to editor_chat so we don't have two files with same code. (side chat uses a lot of things the regular chat room uses)
    • Started making react components for video chat
  • Michelle Manes
  • got room; needs work.
  • hosted number theory speaker
  • meetings meetings meetings

  • Christine Miles
  • regenerating

  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • getting up to speed: https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/31b5d547-f2be-468b-81ea-94ec62dcf746/files/

  • Harald Schilly
  • looked into drawing architecture diagrams
  • talked with william about k8s remaining issues (triaged for hours...)
  • helped others, and support
  • code review for PRs

  • William Stein
  • working on migrating projects; 900 minutes to go.
  • talked with harald triaging the k8s migration.
  • helped tim and others a bit.

  • Patrick Studdard (not here)

  • Bella Tobin (not here)

  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • [with Simon] Cleaned up side chat so it's almost ready to go.
  • Fixed alignment of avatars in the user presence region.
  • Tried to convince William to include a global chat option for sidechat/chatrooms. Vetoed.
  • [with Simon and John J.] Started planning the video chat reactification, which would be necessary if we want to match features when this pull request gets merged in.
  • Looked at video recording with WebRTC. Looks like http://www.kurento.org/ is a good solution, but not worth pursuing unless we know people will want to use this (pay for it? It most likely requires server resources.)

  • MAYBE https://developer.appear.in/ ???

  • Kartik Venkatram (not here yet)

2016-08-17

What do you plan to do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • possibly doing more intro to Sage for UH Manoa students
  • Costco run (ADD STUFF HERE)
    • More eggs, since all the eggs have been eaten. [actually, there are many eggs in the downstairs fridge]
    • Unsweetened iced tea would be nice.
  • will look at #8441 -- https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/8441; working on this for 6 years!

  • Gregory Bard
  • Organizing the snorkeling (waterfall too?) - http://hanaumabaysnorkel.com/
  • Making sure the Hawaiians feel that we're happy to be here
  • We need to talk about this: https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/9107841b-69fe-4d5e-a16f-f3eb2468b07c/files/Newer%20Stuff/Newer%20Bits%20of%20the%20Graphical%20Appendix/one_color_vs_two_color.sagews
  • Avoiding nervous breakdown on confusion about complex plots
  • Possibly redoing ALL the images in the appendix :-/

  • Alina Bucur (not here yet)
  • packing

  • Tim Clemans
  • not sure what do today

  • Aly Deines (not here yet)

  • Piper Harron
  • Rob Harron
    • continuing work on ray class groups/Hecke characters: expanding functionality, improving doctests
    • look into maybe reviewing a ticket Kiran fixed for me: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/20932
    • William's talk: 2:30pm in Keller Hall, room 401 (https://math.hawaii.edu/wordpress/event/seminar-william-stein-what-is-sagemath-good-for/?instance_id=11772269)
  • Jamal Hassan
  • Erik Holmes
  • Verify that ticket #21117 is working
  • Attempt to implement and make ticket for an Arithmetic Dynamics algorithm
  • learn more (#2?)
  • John Jeng
  • was up late (probably asleep right now)
  • update us about surfing (?)
  • finish improving rclass function....
  • fix more issues with old non-react editors

  • Kiran Kedlaya (in San Diego)
  • packing
  • looking at some trac tickets (e.g., #8441)
  • getting other to-do items out of the way to free up time while I'm in Hawaii
  • reachable on chat all day (mostly)

  • Jack Kennedy
  • solve push-to-git-trac problem
  • more tickets
  • [william grumbles about sage dev]

  • Jonathan Lee
  • finishing up top navbar (12 things; 6 hours); lightweight react sortable component
  • work with nicholas and j3 on cleaning up rclass reduxProps usage
  • move on to editor rewrite.
  • charge!

  • David Lukasgi
    • working regular job today
  • Simon Luu
    • work on implementing video chat with vivek
  • Michelle Manes
    • no Sage stuff today
    • meetings
    • William's talk at 2:30pm
    • help Jen with Costco run if necessary
    • on call for issues with campus room / wifi -- (does it work?)
    • See you tomorrow!
  • Christine Miles
    • no info.
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • likely working with j on top-down react rewrite
  • enforce our new ideas about actions; see if the actions function idea is actually nice.
  • fix small ui bugs in SMC (e.g., avatar list number)

  • Harald Schilly
  • Julia already took 2+ hours of my time, but I figured out why its broken.
  • surprising amount of user support (!)
  • plans are to work on the integration of the compute image with the control scripts
  • I also already figured out the canonical way to react to pre-empt shutdown events: use gcloud + metadata
  • reviewed and merged two tickets with Hal Snyder
  • fixing the dropping on editors issue

  • William Stein
  • will go to campus mostly today
  • working on blocking projects from accessing gcloud api: disturbingly complicated approach needed involving service accounts, deployments, shockingly-located secret files, etc. Will definitely work, but requires a few more hours to implement.
  • will give a talk at 2:30: "how to use Sage and SMC in a range of ways in your daily life"

  • Patrick Studdard
  • job interviews

  • Bella Tobin
  • not here

  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • Get video broadcast stubbed using SMC React Best Practices™

  • Kartik Venkatram
  • not here yet

What did you do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
    • talked with Bella and Erik about the code they were working on
    • worked on #8441
    • led trip to costco
  • Gregory Bard
    • re-did 3d plotting wrappers...
  • Alina Bucur
    • packed (almost)
  • Tim Clemans
    • recharged batteries
  • Aly Deines (not here)
  • Piper Harron (not here)
  • Rob Harron
    • Rewrote ray class/Hecke character code to not carry around ideal representatives of the ray classes and pushed to trac.
    • Attended William's talk, standing room only.
  • Jamal Hassan
  • Erik Holmes
  • John Jeng
  • Kiran Kedlaya
    • packing
    • worked on my ANTS slides
    • looked at a couple of tickets (8441, 10510, 11516, 16931)
  • Jack Kennedy
    • finally solved push problem
    • pushed fix for trac #5415 (anybody want to review?)
    • found out garbage day is tomorrow
  • Jonathan Lee
  • More top navbar work (not finished, but small number of things left)
  • Start work on project-level navigation due to overlap with top navbar
  • Standardized "generator" classes -- see project_page.cjsx
  • Bad internet is zapping my productivity...
  • David Lukas
  • Simon Luu -worked on the UI for the video chat (almost done) -helped with costco run
  • Michelle Manes
  • Christine Miles
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • unfortunately continued to work on setting up julia (there are one or two threads on their mailing list, I have a script for precompilation, etc.) – and I also learned that their upcoming 0.5 release is compiling even slower.
  • helped gregory with 3d plotting
  • did catch the "drop files" vs. "drop text" issue and while doing that, discovered that it doesn't work everywhere. anyways, #826 is closed and it took me more than 15 minutes to finish it, because I made a typo in length.
  • helping jack didn't help, but now I know how pushing works: it's [email protected] and not git://
  • William Stein
  • Wrote and gave a talk about Sage to about 30 people: https://youtu.be/wOCYTLdvVDM
  • Tried to make the SMC 3d rendering support the colormap option; I failed (issue https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues/829)
  • Plan tonight:
    • help jlee setup local VirtualBox machines for faster development to reduce load on the network
    • finish kubernetes service account control, to make containers more secure (they are wildly insecure on GCE by default!)
    • finish uploading all projects to google cloud storage (should be done by 7pm!); maybe then delete (5TB of disk)
  • Patrick Studdard
  • Bella Tobin
  • Vivek Venkatachalam
    • shuttled people between campus and house
    • figured out how to push video to people without turning on their webcam or asking for permission. next step: sage math cloud ad sales.
  • Kartik Venkatram

2016-08-18

What do you plan to do today?

IDEAS - review Jack's ticket and if it is fine, put it into the positive review state

People - Jennifer Balakrishnan - sort out Aly and Kartik's housing - set up 7.4.beta0 for student computing twists of p-adic L-functions using OMS - trac #8441 - Gregory Bard - Working on both graphing and the appendix to Sage for Undergraduates. - I should harmonize the syntax of my new plotting commands with the old ones, to the extent possible. - I should make sure as many of the options available with the old commands are available with the new commands. - I should begin documenting (with examples) the new functions. - I need to read Jack Kennedy's remarks on the graphical appendix. - I'm going to split it into two appendices, because a 65-page appendix with 12 sections is intimidating.

  • Alina Bucur
    • travel to Honolulu
  • Tim Clemans & Christine Miles
    • at the ER
  • Aly Deines
    • get some work work done.
    • travel to SD81
  • Rob Harron
    • Marie Kondo
    • Meeting for teaching @ 10:30am
    • Add more doctests for ray class/Hecke char code
  • Erik Holmes
    • Continue working on algorithm implementation.
  • John Jeng
    • Working on correct implementation of allowing reduxProps to access Store methods
    • Debugging non-react editors starting with codemirror editor
  • Kiran Kedlaya
    • Travel to Honolulu
    • On the way, write patch for #20511; look at other tickets
  • Jack Kennedy
    • look at more tickets
  • Jonathan Lee
    • ???
  • David Lukas
    • working regular job today
  • Simon Luu
    • finish adding video chat to side chat with vivek
  • Michelle Manes
    • stop by campus to make sure room is open
    • catch up with what Bella and Erik have been working on
    • either write ticket for potential good reduction or start looking at Doyle - Krumm algorithm
    • heading to campus around 3pm (or earlier) for meetings. can give a ride there if anyone needs one.
  • Nicholas Ruhland
    • hike diamond head (success!)
    • figure out what's going on with sortable tabs
    • continue down the list of top navbar items w/ j&j3
  • Harald Schilly
  • surfing 101
  • will try to finally use those control files for compute images
  • if that works out, writing a service for making sure that the image is available in the cluster on all nodes
  • plan B involves drag'n'drop on files, examples library, wizard, reviewing Hal's latest PR, etc.
  • William Stein
  • [x] project migration done
  • [x] last night I stayed up late and finished implementing use of service accounts to better lock down kubernetes nodes.
  • [x] morning: will do basic surfing lesson in morning
  • [ ] test/fix new 3d graphics colormaps code: https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/pull/830
  • [ ] more k8s/react work.
    • triage
    • probably copying between projects (?)
  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • Integrate updated SimpleWebRTC with broadcast into chat.
  • Kartik Venkatram

What did you do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • Aly and Kartik's housing sorted (Michelle booked rooms at the East-West Center)
  • set up 7.4.beta0 on SMC for OMS computations
  • added some doctests to #8441
  • Alina and Kiran will pick up Tim and Christine from the ER
  • Gregory Bard
  • Unfortunately, I couldn't start working until 4:30 pm, due to climate control and a family emergency back home relating to my mom and my brother.
  • However, I mapped out how I'm going to reorganize the current appendix, and which sections need what degrees of proofreading.
  • I made a really cool plotting example from mathematical economics
  • Alina Bucur
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
  • Piper Harron
  • Rob Harron
    • Worked on doctests and some fixes in ray class/Hecke char code.
    • Attended a couple of meetings.
  • Jamal Hassan
  • Erik Holmes
    • Worked on testing ticket #21117
  • John Jeng
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • posted a patch to #20511
  • arrived in Honolulu!
  • did lots of non-Sage work on the plane (no WiFi)
  • picked up Tim and Christine from the ER, stopped at Walgreens for a prescription
  • Jack Kennedy
    • Working on #14999: subgraph_search does not like labeled edges. It could be a little involved, but I think I've got the chops and it'll be a good learning project in any case.
    • While messing around with subgraphs, I noticed this:

    which doesn't seem right. Both graphs are undirected but the algorithm is picking up all 6 pairs of points. Should I file a bug?
  • Jonathan Lee
  • David Lukas
    • worked regular job
    • currently helping Michelle with potential good reduction code
  • Simon Luu
    • got broadcasting done with vivek
    • discussed with vivek on how we want to implement the video chat into side chat.
  • Michelle Manes
    • helped with the housing issues
    • helped Erik & Bella on testing ticket 21117
    • worked on potential good reduction code
    • meetings, meetings
  • Christine Miles ER
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • trying to catch up with william's bb784f2..7e868be change
  • did not fall off the surfboard every time
  • reviewing a fix by @hal for sagews -- merged it
  • tried to help @greg with 3d plotting, but that just ended in a headache
  • had a bug in building compute images with ansible -- should I give up on it? :-
  • shared some ideas on FB about advertising sagemath's page. so far, that's not pretty ...
  • William Stein
  • mainly working on hard k8s security issues
  • Patrick Studdard
  • Bella Tobin
  • Vivek Venkatachalam
    • Got broadcasting working in SMC.1
    • Developed a strategy to cleanly wrap the third party SimpleWebRTC library so we can control the UI better.
    • drove Tim and Christine to the ER
  • Kartik Venkatram # 2016-08-19

What do you plan to do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • Work on Coleman-Gross local p-adic heights #8441, help with arithmetic dynamics tickets

  • Gregory Bard
    • Working on the graphical appendix and the new graphics commands, but primarily the text of the appendix, since we still haven't figured out this sqrt(z) bug.
  • Alina Bucur
    • Review the course management guide and videos with fresh eyeballs: https://github.com/mikecroucher/SMC_tutorial/blob/master/README.md
  • Tim Clemans
    • Install Ubuntu
  • Aly Deines
    • look at some old track tickets, mine and from p-adic sage days
    • cleaning up these: days71
  • Rob Harron
    • Import idealmoddivisor function from pari C library.
    • Add more doctests to #15829 (Ray class groups and Hecke characters).
    • Report a bug with solve_right for integer matrices (or find it already in trac). (Facebook support.)
  • Erik Holmes
    • Test Rob Benedetto's algorithm implemented yesterday by Michelle and Jen; decide if rational function has potentially good reduction.
  • John Jeng
    • (up late)
  • Kiran Kedlaya
    • took pictures at Hanauma Bay
    • look at some NT tickets with Rob, esp. #20932
    • look at #20511 and related polynomial algebra tickets
    • possibly more ticket triage: waking the dead
    • get a tutorial about GCE from William (with Jen, Jack), try it out -- 3pm here
  • Jack Kennedy
    • work on subgraph_search #14999
    • pick a couple of low-hanging fruit
    • pester people to review my maiden check-in (put link here)
  • Jonathan Lee
    • (up late)
  • Simon Luu
    • working on the writing react components for video chat
  • Michelle Manes
    • debugging Benedetto's algorithm for potential good reduction (Erik found lots of bugs)
    • finish reviewing ticket 21117
    • if we get potential good reduction working, make it a ticket
    • work to understand Doyle-Krumm algorithm on listing points by height in number fields
  • Nicholas Ruhland
    • try react-dnd for sorting tabs
    • find places where we are storing data in state but want it preserved even when the component is unmounted
  • Harald Schilly
  • control script for building project base images
  • yesterday's fresh compute image build had 0 test errors (first time ever)
  • maybe there are still plot3d questions?
  • user facing help related puzzle pieces, as mentioned yesterday
  • sitting next to vivek, which might drag me into the video chat vortex

  • William Stein
  • Morning snorkel; then spent 1.5 hours this morning dealing with some load issues caused by probable leaks.
  • gce tutorial at 3pm
  • centos smc build

  • Vivek Venkatachalam
    • peer-to-peer messaging via syncdoc to coordinate video chat
  • Kartik Venkatram
  • standalone version of SMC on Centos 7 (and maybe 6)

What did you do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • helped with arithmetic dynamics code for potential good reduction
  • attended William's GCE tutorial
  • Gregory Bard
  • worked on graphical appendix; reordered sections
  • organized files
  • wrote a hit list for what needs to be completed before launch
  • discussed linear algebra with Kiran Kedlaya
  • You can see the appendix here: https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/9107841b-69fe-4d5e-a16f-f3eb2468b07c/files/Rebooted%20Appendix/appendices.pdf
  • Alina Bucur
  • found critical bug in course management
  • has a million questions after watching videos...
    • issues, e.g., creating directory must happen first -- maybe we should add creation.
    • make the collaborators on students projects be explicitly designated.
  • Tim Clemans
  • Install Ubuntu had to fix boot using boot-repair
  • Aly Deines
  • worked on Improve caching for HeckeAlgebra
  • and Free modules over PIDs
  • attended William's tutorial
  • Rob Harron
  • Imported idealmoddivisor function from pari C library and removed now redundant part of code in ray class/Hecke char.
  • Added more doctests for #15829.
  • Attended google compute engine tutorial. Cost Kiran some amount of money (thanks, Kiran!).

  • Jamal Hassan
  • Erik Holmes
  • John Jeng
  • fixed a couple of issuess with non-react editors
  • fixed course bug
  • helped out video chat.

  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, took underwater pictures
  • learned all about GCE from the tutorial
  • discussed with William et al about possible SMC-to-GCE interfaces
  • posted on several tickets
  • discussed some linear algebra with Greg

  • Jack Kennedy
  • looked at tickets (grabbed 1)
  • studied subgraph algorithms

  • Jonathan Lee
  • discussed possible SMC-to-GCE interfaces
  • react rewrite
  • editors being wrapped
  • worked on free project warning working
  • thinking about unmounting and caching.

  • Simon Luu
  • I struggled a lot with getting peer mediaStreams.

  • Michelle Manes
  • with Erik, found another bug in Ticket #21117 and reported it -- https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21117
  • with Jen, found & fixed all bugs in current examples for potential good reduction

  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • react rewrite
  • sortable tabs

  • Harald Schilly
  • wrote to the mailing list about the plot3d issue
  • reported critical bug in course management
  • GCE talk + discussions.

  • William Stein
  • wrote and gave tutorial about GCE: https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/bd2ee9ae-5747-48e0-ba1e-61226b2bac71/files/people/wstein/2016-08-19-GCE-tutorial.md
  • discussed how to make SMC more useful for research math computation
  • panic about https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues/832
  • mostly talked about politics at Hawaii at lunch north of here.
  • PLAN for tonight: talk with people...

  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • media broadcasting.
  • thought about scaling up
  • tern servers open sourced.

  • Kartik Venkatram
  • got a few steps into setting up smc, now very slowly building sage
  • downloaded and tested binary version of ymp from y-cruncher; need to see if can build an app that depends on it
  • learned about GCE from tutorial

-- took 22 minutes # 2016-08-18

What do you plan to do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • going to korea...
  • Gregory Bard
  • tourism?
  • Alina Bucur
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
    • Rebase 16339, please review!
    • Work on rebasing an older ticket 16893
    • Snorkle and see a sea turtle.
  • Piper Harron
  • Rob Harron
  • Jamal Hassan
  • Erik Holmes
  • John Jeng
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • Chase down this turtle -->
  • Spin up a few GCE instances, try a Sage computation
  • Fiddle with tickets

  • Jack Kennedy
  • Jonathan Lee
  • David Lukas
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
    • dealing with sick dog at home, may not make it in before hike
    • will try to get back to it tomorrow
  • Christine Miles
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • smc infrastructure (let's keep it general)
  • William Stein
  • Patrick Studdard
  • Bella Tobin
  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • Kartik Venkatram

What did you do today?

  • Jennifer Balakrishnan
  • Gregory Bard
  • Alina Bucur
    • snorkled
    • brought snacks to campus
    • sent course management feedback to william and harald
  • Tim Clemans
  • seen on the sidewalk... probably still installing linux?
  • Aly Deines
    • Rebased 16339, please review! (caching hecke modules)
    • Working on rebasing an older ticket 16893 -- wrapping pari's pseudobasis
    • Snorkeled until chilly, chased a sea turtle from an appropriate distance.
  • John Jeng
  • hiked, reddit.
  • food -- more burgers.
  • fix one bug, maybe.
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • used GCE; not enough RAM.
  • Jack Kennedy
  1. not much today so far (but the night is young)
  2. read a bit of subgraph paper
  3. looked at existing subgraph code
  4. hiked
  5. napped
  • Jonathan Lee
  • hiked; redid url routing for react SMC -- more consistent code.
  • Simon Luu
    • trying to get it so when you open side chat, it will grab all media streams of everyone currently broadcasting and renders it on the page. Struggling because smc dev server taking a long time to load and it keeps giving the red something bad has happened page.
  • Michelle Manes
    • AC response.
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • hiked; nothing very relevant; other stuff.
  • Harald Schilly
  • breakfast discussion with william about kubernetes rewrite.
  • made http://public-cloud.sagemath.com/ as a demo for GCS backed public files for projects (only the GCS side of things) -- Where?
  • manola falls
  • William Stein
  • breakfast triage with hsy about k8s.
  • lunch discussion with kiran and kartik about GCE, GF2 linear algebra.
  • hike & swim
  • kartik & i: worked on installing SMC on CentOS 7 and creating docker image of full SMC.
  • Vivek Venkatachalam
  • issue with dev
  • Kartik Venkatram
  • Made more progress on running SMC on centos, but switching to getting an ubuntu docker image working
  • Thoughts on names
  • Some ideas for faster computation of char poly of binary matrices for Kiran -- Krylov.

(took 17 minutes)

2016-08-21

What do you plan to do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • cleaning up last few sections of appendix.
  • Alina Bucur
  • ???
  • Tim Clemans
  • find a file
  • project log cursor (need a little help)
  • Aly Deines
  • rebasing and merging. sigh.
  • Rob Harron
  • teaching
  • John Jeng
  • asleep or running. react rewrite
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • experiment with GCE and with sparse vs. dense linear algebra over F_2
  • Jack Kennedy
  • learn to develop SMC
  • still looking at subgraph code

  • Jonathan Lee
  • react rewrite
  • Simon Luu
  • finish video chat

  • Michelle Manes
  • teaching
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • ??
  • Harald Schilly
  • setup http://blog.sagemath.com/
  • trying to finish that build script for compute images, like in the past few days
  • tim could teach me a few jenkins tricks
  • may try again to use dask or ipython parallel to distribute some tasks
  • William Stein
  • docker image of single-container SMC (with Kartik)
  • do the most difficult task involving kubernetes that will benefit from having @hsy around: ssh gateway

  • Kartik Venkatram
  • ???

(took 0:15)

What did you do today?

  • Gregory Bard
    • Finished writing all the possibilities for saving your image files. (Appendix G.4)
    • Finished writing about the several uses of the show() command (Appendix G.5)
    • Discussed linear algebra with Kiran Kedlaya
    • Rewrote the code for newPlot3d to be more similar to the old plot3d
    • Learned how to use **kwargs to enable passing keywords from newPlot3d to implicit_plot_3d, resulting in a tremendously simpler set of options
    • Combined all five operations: 3d graphs where z=real_part, z=imag_part, z=magnitude, z=phase, and z="magnitude but color=phase".
    • Rethinking how to organize H.1 (Basic 3D Plots in Cartesian Coordinates)
    • Investigating contours=[] option in implicit_plot3d, to draw concentric hemispheres or paraboloids
    • Found very cool examples for concentric hemispheres/paraboloids
    • Found very cool examples for terrain-style maps z=f(x,y) colored by a terrain map T(x,y,z)=z
    • Re-re-thinking how to organize H.1
    • Panicking about the complex analysis section
    • Proofread G.3, contour plots and density plots, including this huge microeconomics example.
    • People, take a look at this link, if you are curious:
  • Alina Bucur
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
    • Rebased and cleaned up 16893. Please review my ticket!
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • Experimented with GCE and with sparse vs. dense linear algebra over F_2 (outcomes: GCE takes some getting used to but is very usable for someone at my skill level; dense LA over F_2 beats sparse handily in my problem range, say 5000x5000 matrices)
  • With Kartik, looked into why computing Hecke operators uses so much memory
  • Worked on a couple of tickets (11516, 20788)
  • Jack Kennedy

  • Jonathan Lee
  • Simon Luu
    • Got all the media stream stuff all worked out. I just have to make it render one big video and the rest small videos. So that when you click on one of the small ones, it becomes the big video.
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • http://blog.sagemath.com is now kind of ready for use. some template tweaks, and other details missing. content could be from the wiki, as a nice start
  • looked more into parallelization utilities. the award for the weirdest error message goes to ipyparallel and looks like this:
    �cipyparallel.serialize.canning
    CannedFunction
    q)�q}q(UclosureqNUcodeqcipyparallel.serialize.codeutil
    code_ctor
    q(KKKKCUtd�}||tSqNUx�qUvarq Uy�q
    Ubuffersq]ub.
    
  • and finally, a neat python 1-liner: this defines the @distribute decorator discussed a bit with kiran, based on ipyparallel's load balancer: distributed = lambda f : lambda vals : dict(zip(vals, lb.map_sync(f, vals, ordered=False))) used like this @distributed def computation(k): return 2*k + 1

    computation(range(10)) →
    {0: 2, 1: 4, 2: 6, 3: 8, 4: 10, 5: 12, 6: 14, 7: 16, 8: 18, 9: 20}
  • spied a bit on william's new dockerimage setup for distributing a full smc install for a single install
  • William Stein
  • Created a complete docker image of SMC for doing offline development, hosting your own SMC easily, etc. To use it, you (1) install docker, then (2) type docker run -P williamstein/sagemathcloud...
    • Source code: https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/tree/master/src/dev/docker
    • Docker hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/williamstein/sagemathcloud/
    • Worked super hard to do this for Kartik, but he had to leave just as I finished; but maybe tomorrow...
  • Evening plan: ssh gateway

  • Kartik Venkatram
  • something with GF2 linear algebra

2016-08-22

What do you plan to do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • Mostly work remotely
  • Continue to experiment with GCE and linear algebra (particularly, finish off a long-running computation from earlier this summer)
  • Try to pin down the issue Kartik and I found with the Cremona modular symbols wrapper (#21303)
  • Work on other tickets (suggestions welcome!)
  • Pack for the trip home
  • Jack Kennedy: fly back to Seattle ALOHA! and thanks for all the fish
  • Jonathan Lee
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • William Stein
    • architecture of smc diagram
    • fix projects running
    • ssh gateway
    • learn about flexbox
    • use the big image
  • Kartik Venkatram

What did you do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Kiran Kedlaya
  • Jonathan Lee
  • ok
  • flexbox
  • codemirror?
  • ..
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly + William Stein
  • making progress with ssh gateway, but still hours of work left ...
  • 5 minutes of architecture of smc diagram
  • fixed projects running
  • worked on ssh gateway -- lots of progress
  • Kartik Venkatram

2016-08-23 Geisterstadt

What do you plan to do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Jonathan Lee
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • William Stein
  • Kartik Venkatram

What did you do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • Tim Clemans
  • Aly Deines
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Jonathan Lee
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • William Stein
  • Kartik Venkatram

2016-08-24

What do you plan to do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • Tim Clemans
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Jonathan Lee
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • William Stein

What did you do today?

  • Gregory Bard
  • Tim Clemans
  • Rob Harron
  • John Jeng
  • Jonathan Lee
  • Simon Luu
  • Michelle Manes
  • Nicholas Ruhland
  • Harald Schilly
  • William Stein

This directory will contain notes from status reports and organizational sessions.

See also the overviews of people and projects.